Monday, April 4, 2016

More Data

Hi everyone,

This past week, I accumulated much more data, primarily from the release study I started the week before.

For this study, I mixed the polymers with drugs and a salt or acid. The acids I used were sulfuric acid and hydrochloric acid. The salts I used were sodium chloride and sodium thiocyanate.

Here is a graph showing the amount of drug released at the following time points: 0 hour, 1 hour, 6 hours, 24 hours, and 48 hours. The "control" is the gel without acid nor salt.

Firstly, positives: the shape of this curve is very similar to the curves of release studies in the past. Furthermore, almost all of the curves have the same shape. Also, in the first release study, my data suggested that the gels were not mixed well. However, this time, that was not the case as the gels from the same syringe had similar release data, as shown by this small part of my document. 
Now, some not so great things. The last two series (the control and the .128mmol salt) are actually not from this release study. Rather, they are from the release study I did before this, the one where I
compared the sizes of the gels to their release profiles. I did this because those gels this time did not look very good as the gel broke apart in the vial (probably because I did not get rid of all the bubbles in the syringe). Although their components and masses are the same, some conditions may have been different, and so there can be some doubt on those results.

Nevertheless, the results do show a particular trend with the additions of different salts or acids, and that's a really good step forward in this research project. Next week, I plan to start another release study with the same materials but at double the concentration. Hopefully those results are similar and support the results from this release study.

Till next time,

Russell

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything is working out for you! I feel like you've run into an inordinate amount of roadblocks along the way, but seeing the trends on the graph is really gratifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By learning what doesn't work, you're coming more knowledgeable about all the properties of the gels. I'm sure it seems like you're learning the hard way, but you are probably getting a more thorough understanding of the process, instead of just getting "lucky" on the first try and not really grasping all the nuances. Keep on trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you are able to get some data that seems good, even if all of it isn't. I wish you luck with the rest of your research.

    ReplyDelete