Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Different Approach

Hi everyone, 

This week, I started another release study with double the concentration as the previous release study. Because I was not feeling well on Friday, I was unable to process the data, but that information will be included in my post next week. 

I also prepared for another release study with high concentrations of acids. I couldn't use salts because larger amounts of salts would not dissolve into solution. Hopefully, I can have this data next week as well. 

These last two release studies hopefully support my previous data or show a correlation between the acid or salt concentration and release times. 

As I finish these two release studies, I will begin a different approach to answering my research question of ways to modify drug release. 

The new approach is based off of an observation: certain salts or drugs cause biphasic systems to form when mixed with the gels. A biphasic system is simply when a solution has two distinct parts. The hypothesis is that the more likely a compound is to form a biphasic solution, the faster the release will be. 

To test this, I will simply mix many compounds together with a particular gel and see if a biphasic system is formed. 

See you next week, 

Russell

2 comments:

  1. Testing your new hypothesis sounds like a lot of fun. Is it at all possible that you could post photos of some of the biphasic solutions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your hypothesis that a biphasic solution would speed up release is interesting. Good luck on your new approach!

    ReplyDelete